Tweet About Me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fishing you a Happy Birthday!


Yesterday morning, I came downstairs to find my almost 9 year old, Cubby, watching TV. I am slightly embarrassed to say that he is usually indulging in a Spongebob episode that he has already seen 1000 times. Yesterday, however, he was watching Sports Center! I don't know why, but the idea of my baby watching sports on TV made me exceptionally emotional. I know it seems silly, but they REALLY do grow up quickly.

If you follow my blog (or stop by from time to time) you probably remember my friend who inspired me to begin my "Year of Holiday Cards" project. Well, her birthday is tomorrow and I felt it only appropriate to make he something special to celebrate. I decided that she would be the recipient of my very first easel card. With the help of an online tutorial by Splitcoaststampers, I was able to complete my task!! Thanks to them for the easy to follow instructions! I don't have a stamp that works with a fishy birthday card, so I came up with "Fishing" You a Happy Birthday! I printed it out from my computer and cut it out with my Recollections scallop punch. I thought it looked lonely as one layer, so I added two more scallops behind it in a staggered arrangement, and that also served to let the easel card rest against it.

Panda Hugs!
J-

Recipe

Easel Card Base

Piece of plain purple Recollections card stock 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" - score at 4 1/4" and 6 3/8"
Fold in half and then fold the small section in the opposite direction
With the small section up, add adhesive and attach a 4 1/4" x 4/14" card from the top of the section


The video from Splitcoaststampers helped me to understand exactly what to do, so definitely check it out! 

Top card

I cut the frame for this card from the SEI Crafts Couture stack at 4 1/4" and used the same cut I did for my Shadow Box Card.  The fishbowl and fish are both from the Cricut Create a Critter cartridge. <Fishbowl> is the shift cut and I set it to 2" and used layers 1, 2 and 3 on the shift as well. <Fish> is cut at 1" and it is the regular cut. I used layers 1-3 for this as well. I added Stickles to the middle of the fish to make it stand out. The sand layer for the bowl was cut with the the glitter paper in the Mariposa mat stack. After I assembled the bowl, I added the fish with a pop up glue dot and then the bowl was added to the card with pop up glue dots as well. I added 2 sizes of light green Recollections crystals to look like bubbles coming out of the fish's mouth. Finally, I added three Recollections pearls to the card for an extra touch.


Bottom card

I added a white square cut at 4" x 4" and a lavender on top cut to 3 3/4". After I added the white, I taped a piece of Offray 7/8" Sunburst Rainbow ribbon to the lavender piece and taped it with Scotch tape under the piece. Then I used adhesive to place it on top. I added the 3 scallop sentiment on top of it using dimensionals.

I am entering this card into the following challenges:

Getting Cricky with K Andrews - Argh Matey! Use a Pirate or Fish
Birthday Sundaes Challenge #46 - Birthday Card with Sentiment
For Your Inspiration Challenge #25 - inspired by the water and the round domes on the buildings

8 comments:

  1. This is really cute. The framed fishbowl reminds me of a shadow box. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at the Getting Cricky Simply Sunday Challenge.

    Cheri - Getting Cricky JrDT
    www.djssundries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! great job on your first Easel Card!! thanks for joining us for the Simply Sunday Challenge!!
    Kristan
    Getting Cricky Jr. DTM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little card is adorable! Love the fish and congrats on your first Easel Card! Thanks for playing at FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you made your easel card. Very colorful and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card. The fish is adorable :)
    Thanks for joining us in the Simply Sunday Challenge.

    Jessie
    Getting Cricky JR DTM

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun easel card! Thanks for joining in with FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute card! Really love the colors! Great job! Thanks for joining us for the Getting Cricky Simply Sunday Challenge!

    Hugs,

    ~RhoLynda
    GC JrDT Member
    blossomingbutterflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Thanks for joining us at FYI!

    ReplyDelete