Tweet About Me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 2, 2012

Light it Up Blue for Autism Awareness


You may be wondering my blog is written in blue today. Here is my explanation: When I set out to create a card for every holiday, I thought about the fact that there are many little awareness days throughout the course of the year. Although I can't create a card for EVERY one of them, some are so important, I just can't pass them up. Today is one of those days.

Today is World Autism Awareness day. According to the Autism Speaks website, "the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its estimate of autism prevalence in the United States to 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls)." Look at the number of friends you have on facebook. I have 370. 1 in 88 would touch at least 4 of my friends. When I think about the number of their friends and family, those numbers increase exponentially. Today, chances are either you, or someone close to you is personally affected by autism.

As a special education teacher, I have taught many autistic children. They are all unique in their own ways. One student I taught for two years is exceptionally funny. He has channeled his sense of humor into some of the best screenplay writing I have seen by a teenager. One student just participated in the school musical and I had never seen her look so happy! So as you go about your business today, take a moment to consider that the more we are aware of something, the more we can do to help. 

You can join me, and Autism Speaks in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day by taking part in their "Light It Up Blue" campaign "to help shine a light on autism." Use blue to light up something on the outside of your house, wear blue, anything you can do to "light it up blue." You wouldn't believe how many people and organizations have joined in the campaign today! The Empire State Building, Paris Stock Exchange, CN Tower and MY BLOG are just some of the few. Visit the Autism Speaks Light it Up Blue campaign page to see even more.

Recipe:

Card Base
  • Plain piece of card stock - Cut 8" x 6" and score at 4" to make  4" x 6" card.
  • Cricut Art Philsophy cartridge - RCTNGLE1 p. 44 - white cut at 3 1/2" & blue striped paper from the DCWV Sweet Stack cut at 3" 
  • Sponged the edges of all layers and embellishments with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink
side view shows dimension
Embellishments
  1. Big pink sunburst cut from Cricut Art Philsophy cartridge - FLOWER2 (shift button for SHAPE5) p.66 at 4" was added first with 3D Foam Tape
  2. Next, I added the long peach patterned frame from the DCWV Sweet Stack - cut from Cricut Art Philsophy cartridge - SHAPE4 p. 56 cut at 1 1/2" - I added a twine-like yarn that I got for $1 at the craft store and taped it underneath the paper and then added the layer with more 3D Foam Tape
  3. The top Doily-like flower was added next. It was cut from Cricut Art Philsophy cartridge - CIRCLE3 p.41 at 2 1/2" on the regular button for the peach patterned flower shape from the DCWV Sweet Stack and the layer button for the lt. pink doily shape
  4. I added tiny adhesive pearls to all of the holes in the doily
  5. Then I used a dimensional to add the puzzle piece with the word "Speak" printed on it - I made this on my computer from a free puzzle digital stamp image file from Aimee Asher. I layered the word on it in my word processing software and printed it on blue card stock - then I used my micro scissors to cut it out
I am entering this card into the following challenges:

DCWV April Stack-a-holic Sketch Challenge


Little Scrap Pieces - My Favorite Things Challenge
Used MY FAVORITE crafting item - the Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge
for all of the cuts on the card!!



7 comments:

  1. A great card for a great cause, I love the puzzle shape in the middle of your focal point, a great symbol for this condition that blights so many people's lives.
    Thanks for joining us at CR84FN this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty card! Lovin' all the layers! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and a wonderful cause. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you used the puzzle piece and I just want to say that your whole post is thoughtful, informative, beautiful. Thank you so much for joining my challenge this week with your very pretty card.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your card is perfect for Autism Awareness Day. I really like the layers and the puzzle bit as the focal point. I enjoyed reading your post too - very thought provoking! Thank you for playing along with CR84FN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So SPECIAL that you made this card for Autism Awareness! Really LOVE the puzzle piece - so profound! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab card and such a great cause.xxx

    ReplyDelete